Freelance For You

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Lost Week

From Sep 11, 2006

Hello again, I believe I've lost not just one week but two. I've been in process of judging a short story contest for NightWriters organization based in San Luis Obispo, CA. This is an annual fund raising event and I've read and scored about 180 manuscripts. This is an unusual contest in that all stories are limited to 500 words and all must begin with the same opening words. This year, those words were "Not again" This could be a first sentence or a part of a sentence.
This is the second time I have served as a judge and at one time I served as contestest chairman. This involves many hours and I am in process of trying to persuade the Executive Board of the organization to pay a small stipend to contest chairman and judges. Their judging system requires two "First Tier" judges who read and score all the manuscripts received. Second Tier judges select approximately 20 of the lst tier judges' top scoring manuscripts. These go to the final judge who (this year) is an ex-editor of a literary journal. A first, second and third place receive cash awards. Seven honorable mention awards are offered.

When I lived there I led two workshops for several years. Both are still thriving under new leaders. Here in Sedona where I now live, I have five workshops that meet in my home. These meet on Thursdays, morning,k afternoon, evening. I limit the number to about 8 members so that all have a chance to read their work, hear comments and and comment on others' work.

I have much more to write about but am bushed this evening and need to get to bed. More and more cogent remarks next time. Willma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home