Freelance For You

Sunday, February 05, 2006

First Blog

Be patient with me please, all you out there in cyberspace. I'm just entering the world of Blogdom. I am a lifelong, freelance writer wanting to encourage everybody out there in cyberspace who is interested in writing for fun or profit. I am the author of two adult books--a how-to and a novel, with the second novel in the hands of an agent. However, my travel, profiles, essays, humor have appeared in more than 75 national and regional jounals. I teach classes in Writing for Fun Or Profit, and have spoken at libraries and writer groups in more than two dozen cities in the past three years. Currently I am leading four writer workshops.

Where do I get the time? I'm old enough--not going to say how old--to have reached a point where I can use every hour of the day to do whatever I want. And what is that? WRITE.

Even though I love to write fiction, I am not really interested in traveling about doing the necessary promotion required for novels. So what do I write? I do a monthly humor column, and today, with a photographer friend I interviewed a delightful 14-year-old girl who has parlayed a 4-H hobby raising goats into production of soap from goat's milk ("Bea's Beauty Bar"--named for her favorite goat, Beatrice) . She not only makes the soap, she raises a different breed of goat whose hair she spins into yarn. (Ahh, the possibilities for spin off stories!)

Where did I find this contact? In the local newspaper in which a columnist did a feature about Katie, the Goat Girl. I contacted a magazine publisher for whom I have done a number of stories. He said, "go for it." So I am excited about working on this story. We have just viewed the 150 digital images my photographer friend shot today, and I should be able to submit the story within a couple weeks.

1 Comments:

  • I saw that there were few comments on your blog space, so, I thought that I would be the first-
    Kinda like a diary, isn't it?
    I don't need to write about whats new in my life. It is tracked for me.
    My daily exploits are tracked better by my credit card purchases- as they identify what, when, where, how much, travel time, energy expendature (gasoline), and hopefully, who! And, this information about me is actually sought after, monitored, bought and sold by the largest corporations in the world! Yet, I shun my fame, and would rathar remain anonymous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 16, 2007 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home