Freelance For You

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Talks and Time

On this date, August 26th, I'm trying to catch up on my fumbling Blogging education and invite comments and all the help I can get.

I've just sent my "Lost In Cyberspace" Sassy Senior column to my Web Master son to be added to my site and it will give you something of a clue as to why I find it so frustrating to learn a new language of "posts" and "pings" and "cookies" and all the rest of those words that mean something entirely different to me than to those whose adventures in cyberspace are far more cogent than mine.

The reception for my talk last Wednesday evening at the monthly meeting of Professional Writers of Prescott in that city was most gracious and several of the members purchased books, as well as sending information about long-distance grand parenting which was one of my pleas for assistance. I'm collecting anecdotes for a possible nonfiction book on the subject and have received some excellent ones. All names will be changed in the text but those who have contributed will be thanked on the Acknowledgement page.

Among the PWP members attending was Karen Despain, Editor of Yavapai County Magazine. She took my photo and plans to run a blurb about me and my writing history in an upcoming issue of the magazine.

This afternoon I will make a persentation at the Well Red Coyote Bookstore on the subject, "While I Wait To Publish The Great American Novel." In this talk I will include a lot of information about the smaller markets that are available to all for essays, travel, profiles, how-to-do articles. I still give time to fiction but nonfiction sells so much faster, I spend more time on short articles. Three short pieces have sold in the past three months. "Want to see" came from two editors this past week--in response to my e-mailed queries. Three articles have been accepted but are pending publication and pay. I certainly do not make a living from freelancing but the little bit that comes in is nice "gravy" and adds credits to my list.

Time to polish my thoughts and collect my handouts for today's bookstore appearance. More and more often when I get a better "hang" of this blogging business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home