Freelance For You

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Good News Dept.

Finally, I got the manuscript of my "Wit & Wisdome From Long Distance Grandparents" off to the publisher and have been trying to catch up on other writing--besided keeping up with my writer workishops, now numbering five.

The good news? I sent a poem, "Bird's Eye View" to the C.S. Monitor Home Forum editor, Judy Lowe, more than a month ago. This publication in the past has always sent an immediate response to the effect that the submission has been received and that the appropriate editor will get back to the sender with a decision within three weeks. I did not receive such a response and re-sent the poem. Yesterday I receive apology from Ms. Lowe saying the paper is going through some changes in its electronic response mode, and that she is buying the poem ($40) for a future issue with pay on publication. This piece was first written in 1980. Moral: never give up. This is excellent pay for poetry, especially when little is paid for in literary journals.

Speaking of which I have been honored (I guess?) to have my short story, "Cellmates," published in a Montana State University annual. I sent the story in as an entry in a contest for which the prize was to have been $1000. Shortly after I submitted it, I received notice that the financial support for the contest had been withdrawn but because the editors "loved" my story, would I allow them to publish it? Flattery will get you somewhere, so I said yes. (All rights, they say, revert to me.) Anyway the little annual is published--a very handsome journal--and they did a good job with my story. Most of the published pieces are poetry. My story is one of about four fiction pieces.

I promise myself to get back to regular Blogging now that the book is off and running. It is scheduled for publication in Fall 2007. Happy writing to all!

2 Comments:

  • Dear Willma, I just discovered your blog mentioned in an e mail rec'd some time ago. I have now bookmarked it.

    Congrats on everything.

    The only way I'm going to get to Sedona is to phone you and set up a time.

    Love, Ruth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 22, 2007 5:43 AM  

  • I don't know how this works????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 22, 2007 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home